Date:      Tue, 20 May 1997 16:14:37 -0500
From:      Randy Berndt <rberndt@nething.com>
To:        Dan Welch <WELCHDW@wofford.edu>, HARDWARE@FreeBSD.ORG
Cc:        WELCHDW@wofford.edu
Subject:   Re: isa bus and boca multiport boards

At 04:30 PM 5/20/97 -0400, Dan Welch wrote:
>I'm having quite a bit of difficulty getting Boca's 8 and 16 port
>boards to work in my standard isa bus machines.  A few of the boards
>work ok, some work with a port or two appearing to be bad, others
>have a chunk of neighboring ports appearing not to work. Which ports
>are "bad" is stable in a given machine, but may differ between
>machines.
>
>Additionally, the boards will often cause a machine to no longer
>be able to complete a reboot via "shutdown -r now"; the machine will
>just freeze after finishing sync. Remove the board and all is well
>again.
>
>At first I thought I just had a bad bunch of boards (3 8's and 3
>16's) and got them replaced.  The replacement set is just as bad.
>In the 12 boards I've tried, I have only gotten one "good" 8 port and
>one "good" 16 port; there's a single "bad" port in each but
>otherwise workable, except that the 16 port prohibits full reboot
>except by reset button.
>
>The first Boca board I ever bought (8 port) worked flawlessly in all
>three machines it's occupied and still does.
>
>This problem spans 8 machines of 486 and 586 class, with clocks
>ranging from 20 MHz to 75 MHz.

I had a similar problem, but it only happened on high ports. 11 and above
(?). There are 4 chips each handling 4 ports, but if I recall (this was 18
months ago), the problem spanned chips. Low ports NEVER had problems. I
needed 16 ports, so I just bought a second one (they are damned cheap) and
only use the first 8 on each.

[Wild-Ass-Guess Mode ON]

Since the entire set of ports must be scanned whenever an interrupt occurs,
maybe there is too much delay in getting to the upper ports. Something gets
locked up if they overflow. I left several messages, but no one could
figure it out.

[W-A-G Mode OFF]

Randy Berndt <rberndt@nething.com>
AOS/VS, FreeBSD, DOS:
I'm caught in a maze of twisty little command interpreters, all different.