Date:      Sun, 30 Apr 2000 01:14:36 -0700
From:      Kent Stewart <kstewart@3-cities.com>
To:        Noor Dawod <noor@comrax.com>
Cc:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Partitions?

Noor Dawod wrote:

> Hello,
>
> How can I create new partitions on a living system? I have a 4.0-STABLE
> system.
> (sysinstall says there are no disks, thus I cannot use it)

Sure you can. When it presents a menu, choose configure. Then fdisk and label, which
ever one (s) you need to use. It works better if you have built systinstall so you
don't get the signal 11. The thing is that if you have everything allocated, you are
going to have to change something. A lot of times a "ln -s" is just about as good.
There is a lot that you can do in single use mode that you can do with processes
running. I moved /tmp and /var out at one point. Everything was copied and the link
is pretty quick. I was pretty nervous but it worked. I may not work all of the time
and I was prepared to start from a floppy boot if I had to

Kent

> Noor

Kent Stewart
Richland, WA

mailto:kstewart@3-cities.com

SETI(Search for Extraterrestrial Intelligence) @ HOME
http://setiathome.ssl.berkeley.edu/

Hunting Archibald Stewart, b 1802 in Ballymena, Antrim Co., NIR
http://www.3-cities.com/~kstewart/genealogy/archibald_stewart.html