Date:      Sun, 1 Jul 2001 00:43:54 -0400
From:      Shannon <shannon@widomaker.com>
To:        Freebsd Questions <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: [Fwd: [Fwd: Office XP & Windows XP activation woes]]

On Sat, Jun 30, 2001 at 12:44:51AM -0500, Virtual Bob wrote:

> newcomers will also (usually) go for Windoze. After you've flooded and has
> majority of the market, you then put things like XP which needs this
> "activation code" thing and begin to suck $$$ out of it.

No doubt about it. They have wanted this sort of thing for a long time.
I personally hate serialization in software. It can be gotten around a
lot of times, and it's an annoyance for the paying customer.

> I doubt Microsoft made much money on individual sales of any WInblows. I
> bet virtually all profit came from OEM bundling deals with hardware
> makers, with corporate America (site license) coming in distant second...

True, and there is a more sinister element of XP: mandatory upgrades.
This is key to converting from OEM sales to nickle-and-diming the users
to compensate.  From what I have read, upgrades aren't optional.
Given the directions they are taking with things like restricting what
files you can copy, and even what hardware you can install (has to be
officially supported, etc), this is a sure-fire way to take what
little choice you have away completely.

The next step is to kill the concept of the PC being a general purpose
computers.  You not registered as a software developer?  Sorry, you
can't run a compiler.

I would like to agree with Ted (I think he said this) that this will
accelerate the drive away from Microsoft, but I think the sheep will
just accept it. Corporte America is scary, the way they think, and
people in general don't seem to see the traps set for them.

Of course, I think Microsoft may end up failing just due to its own
weight and stupidity, but then, that hasn't killed it so far.  Lately
the computer industry depresses me a lot.

--
______________________/ armchairrocketscientistgraffitiexenstentialist