Date:      Tue, 16 Jan 2001 10:27:10 -0000
From:      "Steve Coles" <scoles@tripos.com>
To:        "Herbert" <h.j.s@gmx.at>, "FreeBSD-Stable" <freebsd-stable@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   RE: Epox 8KTA2

This is my experience with Promise controllers (a torrid time indeed):

Both the Promise Controllers you mention are recognised by FreeBSD. The
Ultra-100 is reliable and compatible with all of my MOBOs - I have a
selection of low-mid-range ( PCChips, GigaByte ), and ATA-66 and ATA-100
disks, using FreeBSD and WinNt.

The FastTrak-100 has ~never~ been reliable across MOBOs and Disks - on NT
and FreeBSD. I have tried flashing the BIOS ( most recent and dummy-bios ),
different channel combinations, different drive combinations, different
MOBOs...

My experience with this controller is that if you use two fast disks at the
same time, then one of them will time-out ( FreeBSD and WinNT )or there will
be massive file-system corruption ( WinNT ).

Only one MOBO, running with a bus-speed of 66Mhz worked reliably with
multiple writers to a hardware/software stripe.

The problem normally manifests itself as one of the disks attached to the
controller just timing-out, this happens on WinNT and FreeBSD - only FreeBSD
recovers more gracefully. WinNT appears to not reset the drive and just
waits.

Typical example: Last night I had a 32Mb AMD K2 450 ( wow !) machine with
the Fastrak-100, with 3 disks. Using just the first (boot) disk (ATA-33) it
had been building-world happily for weeks using CTM deltas of src-4, no
problems, ad4 and ad5 were recognised but just not used.

Then I switched /usr/src to /dev/ad4s1e and /usr/obj to /dev/ad5s1e - the
FastTrak controlled drives

As soon as I tried to do something using both ATA-100 disks I got read/write
timeouts on one or the other disk. These timeouts were followed by
spontaneous reboots.

So I reloaded the machine from the 12-1-2001 stable snapshot and now there
are just kernel panics.

I couldn't even unpack the source ( I use CTM ) into /use/src without a
panic. The panic was in a variety of functions, but most functions were
named ffs_*. (Sorry for the level of detail, I have a 30-second memory)

If it is a driver problem then I would like to help out, but I don't know
whether it is the driver or controller, or MOBO. I'm tempted just to save
the grey hairs and buy a new Mobo / ditch the FastTrak.

I'm just fed up with this controller, so I would welcome ~any~ positive
experiences using this controller with -STABLE and >1 ATA-100 disks so that
I can reduce some of the variables and get a working configuration using
this controller.

Steve