Date:      Sun, 28 Jul 2002 10:22:45 +0200
From:      Mark Rowlands <mark.rowlands@minmail.net>
To:        "Greg 'groggy' Lehey" <grog@lemis.com>
Cc:        FreeBSD LIST <FreeBSD-Questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: What do we need in a FreeBSD desktop? (was: Peter heads back to M$FT WinBloze [support groups])

 snip

Greg Lehey said:-=20

> Some time ago I created the "instant-workstation"
> port, but didn't make much noise about it.  instant-workstation
> basically installs a number of dependent ports (see below for a list)
> and then does some minor configuration.=20

snip

> So what's in instant-workstation?  Currently I have:
>
> =09acroread
> =09bash
> =09cdrecord
> =09dos2unix
> =09emacs
> =09fetchmail
> =09gs
> =09grip
> =09gimp
> =09gv
> =09gpg
> =09ispell
> =09startkde
> =09mkisofs
> =09mount_smbfs
> =09mutt
> =09netscape
> =09xtset
> =09xmms
> =09xv
>
> My questions to you: is there anything missing?  Has anybody tried
> instant-workstation?  I'd be interested in suggestions about how to
> improve it.
>
> Greg

I tried it a ways back when I was constanty breaking things and reinstall=
ing=20
boxes......I'm better now, and it was a worthwhile tool. Saved me some ti=
me=20
and taught me a bit about the ports structure.

possible additions

The first thing thing it should maybe do is to cvsup the ports structure =
and=20
run a portsdb -Uu or pkgdb -F  ;-)

Additions :-

jdk13,  wrapper,  vnc,  rdesktop, portupgrade and possibly open office.=20

An option to install KDE3 would be nice.=20

Given that it takes so long to build, is it worth thinking  about trying =
to=20
use packages wherever possible?