Date:      Fri, 28 Jan 2000 04:48:21 +0000
From:      Tony Finch <fanf@demon.net>
To:        freebsd-stable@freebsd.org, freebsd@gndrsh.dnsmgr.net
Subject:   PR#12071, was Re: Multiple IP addresses

"Rodney W. Grimes" <freebsd@gndrsh.dnsmgr.net> wrote:

>This hack promotes violation of ARIN and other IN registry policies
>regarding use of IP space.

No, the only reason for using lots of IP addresses is having thousands
of customers that require them.

This patch was originally developed before the Host: header existed,
and we have thousands of customers dating from that period which is
why we find it useful. It's far more manageable than thousands of
separately configured aliases (using the NetBSD hashed interface
table or some other hack). It's the reason we are using FreeBSD
rather than Irix for our Homepages accelerators.

These are probably the only machines on the Internet with 96K
configured IP addresses; my current project will return them to RIPE
to be used for better purposes, but we'll still use NETALIAS for the
/28 that will replace them.

Tony.
--
the dot at person