Date:      Sat, 27 Oct 2001 18:25:26 -0400
From:      "Doug Reynolds" <mav@wastegate.net>
To:        "freebsd-questions@freebsd.org" <freebsd-questions@freebsd.org>, "Scott Mitchell" <scott.mitchell@mail.com>
Subject:   Re: Graphics card for new machine -- Radeon vs. GeForce?

On Sat, 27 Oct 2001 17:15:17 +0100, Scott Mitchell wrote:

>>From reading various reviews and list archives it seems that the ATI Radeon
>or nVidia GeForce 2/3 fit the bill and have solid 2D support in XFree86
>4.x. Is there any particular reason to favour one of these over the other?
>Are there any instances of cards using these chipsets that I should avoid,
>or that come highly recommened?  All other things being equal I'm leaning
>towards ATI simply because they seems to have a more reasonable attitute
>towards the open source community, but if the nVidia stuff is known to work
>better I could change my mind...

I have a raedon 64Mg VIVO agp 4x card and it works flawlessly with
Win98, finally they came out with good drivers for win2000, and it
works well there as well.. pretty quick on my athlon 1000.  I haven't
tried it in with my server since it gets all the left over hardware
from the other 2 ocmputers. :)

---
doug reynolds | the maverick | mav@wastegate.net