Date:      Fri, 21 Nov 2014 19:14:17 -0800
From:      Dieter BSD <dieterbsd@gmail.com>
To:        freebsd-hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Running 8 building 10 success (I think?)

> I was looking into whether we could easily fix /bin/sh

/bin/sh's error message is badly broken and needs to be fixed.
I previously posted a short list of things that should be
improved.  A high school student that knows C should be able to do it.
Since there is one brain-dead error message there are likely more,
so bonus points for looking through the source and fixing those as well.

The F_DUPFD_CLOEXEC problem is unfortunate, but it is already released.
And there is an easy workaround: just mv /bin/sh /bin/sh_10.1 and
then copy 8.2's /bin/sh to the chroot.

> or whether we should
> just warn that you can't bootstrap from systems earlier than 8.4.

Looks like you can, actually.

Make a chroot with 10.1 binaries and sources.
Add /dev/null
replace 10.1's /bin/sh with 8.2's /bin/sh
Add /etc/make.conf containing WITHOUT_CTF=true
edit GENERIC, commenting out "makeoptions WITH_CTF=1"
chroot
cd /usr/src
make buildkernel KERNCONF=GENERIC

I haven't testing doing these steps and nothing else, so the list
might be missing something.