Date:      Sat, 14 Apr 2001 13:26:13 -0500
From:      David Kelly <dkelly@grumpy.dyndns.org>
To:        "G. Jason Middleton" <gmiddl1@gl.umbc.edu>
Cc:        Beech Rintoul <akbeech@anchoragerescue.org>, freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: how to dial into my BSD box for internet access(re-worded)

"G. Jason Middleton" writes:
> close but no cigar
>
> I need to be able to surf theweb from say..a windows client...i ned to
> establish a PPP connection be assigned an IP most likely a 192.168.0....
> since all my boxes get access to the internet from behind a NATD box with
> a firewall.
>
> this seems as though it is gonna be more difficult then i expected..

You just don't (yet) recognize a good cigar when you see one.

First you have to get terminal access dial-in working. This is the best
way to debug your modems. You have to get the dial-in modem behaving
and automatically resetting and reconfiguring between calls.

Then from within a shell login you could invoke pppd(8) on the command
line. That is, once you configure pppd. Expect the ppp(8) utility could
also be used but I never have.

Or you could look into /usr/ports/comms/mgetty* and other techniques for
bypassing the login-to-shell stage.

But first you need the text dial-in working.

--
David Kelly N4HHE, dkelly@hiwaay.net