Date:      13 Mar 00 17:23:28 EET
From:      Fawaz <bsdi@usa.net>
To:        "Kevin T. Likes" <klikes@isd.state.in.us>
Cc:        FreeBSD Questions <freebsd-questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: [Swap problem on 3.1-RELEASE]

There could be 100+ reasons.. Well you give more details
about the settings you use ?!

Cheers.

"Kevin T. Likes" <klikes@isd.state.in.us> wrote:

We have a system running 3.1-RELEASE with fwtk as a gateway for e-mail an=
d =

other services.  Within the last couple of months, this machine has begun=
 =

crashing regularly with out of swap messages.  The system begins with ver=
y =

little swap usage, which grows very slowly until there is a sudden jump.

We've tried using 'ps' to track down what processes might be hanging, but=
 no =

processes show as being swapped at all.  In addition, I've watched they s=
ystem

run under brief unusual loads (downloading spooled mail from our secondar=
y =

mail server) without using any swap at all.

Any ideas what might be using up this swap space or strategies in trackin=
g it

down?

Kevin T. Likes
State of Indiana