Date:      Fri, 30 Jun 2017 12:01:01 -0400
From:      "James B. Byrne" <byrnejb@harte-lyne.ca>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   A readers digest version of transferring a jail from one host to another.

I have server 'A' at a remote site which has a jail 'J1' that happens
to provide an MX service.  I have server 'B' on my desk that I need to
configure as duplicate of 'B' including 'J1'.  Both hosts are running
FreeBSD-11.  We are using EZJail to administer jails on both hosts.

Both hosts 'A' and 'B' and the jail 'J1' use zfs.  Zfs snapshots are
regularly taken on 'A' (and 'B' for that matter).

zroot/ezjail/hllmx18@2017-06-30_02.00.00--6w     632K      -  2.97G  -
zroot/ezjail/hllmx18@2017-06-30_02.10.00--14d    660K      -  2.97G  -
zroot/ezjail/hllmx18@2017-06-30_03.10.00--14d    732K      -  2.97G  -
zroot/ezjail/hllmx18@2017-06-30_04.10.00--14d    996K      -  2.97G  -
zroot/ezjail/hllmx18@2017-06-30_05.10.00--14d    856K      -  2.97G  -
zroot/ezjail/hllmx18@2017-06-30_06.10.00--14d    892K      -  2.97G  -
zroot/ezjail/hllmx18@2017-06-30_07.10.00--14d    988K      -  2.97G  -
zroot/ezjail/hllmx18@2017-06-30_08.10.00--14d   1000K      -  2.97G  -
zroot/ezjail/hllmx18@2017-06-30_09.10.00--14d   1.04M      -  2.97G  -
zroot/ezjail/hllmx18@2017-06-30_10.10.00--14d    728K      -  2.97G  -
zroot/ezjail/hllmx18@2017-06-30_11.10.00--14d    732K      -  2.97G  -

What is the simplest way to move a copy of 'J1' on 'A' to a new jail
on 'B'?  I know that it is possible to move zfs snapshots around but I
am rather pressed for time. If someone can provide a reasonably brief
precis of the steps required to move a copy of J1 from A and restore
that as a functioning new J2 on B I then would be much appreciative.

James B. Byrne                mailto:ByrneJB@Harte-Lyne.ca
Canada  L8E 3C3