Date:      Wed, 20 Aug 2003 16:00:56 -0700 (PDT)
From:      wpaul@FreeBSD.ORG (Bill Paul)
To:        eugen@kuzbass.ru (Eugene Grosbein)
Cc:        stable@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: rl(4) is broken in STABLE

> Bill Paul wrote:
>
> > Aw come on guys! Give me a hint here! I can't even find this
> > mysterious PR that was allegedly filed! Since you don't know the number,
>
> I've finally got the number of this PR.
> Look: http://www.freebsd.org/cgi/query-pr.cgi?pr=55727
>
> Eugene Grosbein

You didn't provide enough information. Unfortunately, the only way
to diagnose this properly is with tcpdump:

# tcpdump -n -e -i rl0 (or rl1, or whatever)

Look at the incoming packets, see if they appear sane. If there are
no packets at all, then you need to report this as well. Also, you
should show me what "ifconfig -a" says. Note: don't just tell me
that it "looks normal." I need to see the raw data to interpret it
myself.

You should also check netstat -in to see if the input/output packet
and error counts are increasing.

Checking the transmit side requires running tcopdump on a remote host.
(Running tcpdump locally only shows you packets going into the TX
routine of the driver. You can't actually tell that the frames have
made it onto the wire unless you scan from another machine.)

The 8139D isn't treated in any special way. Other people have reported
that 'normal' 8139 NICs work again. (The commit on August 18th fixed
the problem I introduced on August 17th.)

I don't have one of these cards, so I'm relying on you people to provide
detailed information. All of the other 8139 cards I've tested seem to
work, however I only have cards with the original 8139 and 8139A chips.
The code path for the 8139D should be the same as for all the others.
The only ones that are different are the 8139C+ and the 8169. There's
a slim chance the D-Link card is being mis-identified, but to know
that for sure, it NEED you to show me the output of "ifconfig -a."

-Bill

-Bill Paul            (510) 749-2329 | Senior Engineer, Master of Unix-Fu
                 wpaul@windriver.com | Wind River Systems
      "If stupidity were a handicap, you'd have the best parking spot."