Date:      Tue, 25 Apr 2000 07:19:18 -0600 (MDT)
From:      Edward Wolpert <wolpert@methodsystems.com>
To:        Christoph Kukulies <kuku@gilberto.physik.RWTH-Aachen.DE>
Cc:        java@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   RE: the latest - tomcat etc.

To make it short: yes

;-)

(I assume your doing this under freebsd... and using the port installation
version. I don't think there is a port or package of the Tomcat 3.1 version
yet... )

First, you need to modify the http.conf file in /usr/local/etc/apache as
it stipulates in the installation directions for tomcat. (Check the website)
it's actually easy. They have 'default' instructions, and check the userguide
as well for more complete information)

Second, the tomcat.conf file needs to point to the proper location of the
mod_jserv.so file. I found it best to explictly point to the one that the
jserv installed. (Tomcat and jserv use the same version.) This is the
LoadModule line. Mine looks like this:

  LoadModule jserv_module /usr/local/libexec/apache/mod_jserv.so

I think this is the location where the jserv port automatically installs
the mod_jserv.so file.

You'll notice that you'll have to start tomcat manually. Do this first to
test the installation. Once you know it works, create a script in the
/usr/local/etc/rc.d directory, so tomcat starts automatically on reboot.
Mine looks like this:

   #!/bin/sh
   TOMCATDIR=/usr/local/tomcat/current
   if [ -d $TOMCATDIR ]
   then
        /usr/local/tomcat/current/bin/tomcat.sh start
        echo  -n ' tomcat'
   fi

Note that I installed tomcat on my system in /usr/local/tomcat/current
and modified the tomcat.sh script that came with it to include the
correct system variables.

On 25-Apr-2000 Christoph Kukulies wrote:

> Now that I have apach13 and apache-jserv running again I find that
> the servlets it is using are still JSDK2.0 (so they are 2.0 servlets, right?)
>
> The 2.2 Servlet API seems to be the current and I'm having troubles with
> a servlet I want to write and find myself with not existing methods
> in the 2.0 API.
>
> To make it short: Is there a way to run the latest (tomcat) release
> under apache13?
>
> --
> Chris Christoph P. U. Kukulies kuku@gil.physik.rwth-aachen.de

Virtually,