Date:      Sat, 13 May 1995 15:27:34 -0700
From:      David Greenman <davidg@Root.COM>
To:        henrich@crh.cl.msu.edu (Charles Henrich)
Cc:        freebsd-bugs@freefall.cdrom.com
Subject:   Re: bin/402: w -n doesnt work as advertised.

>	I modified w.c to attempt to figure out the ip address of the hosts
>	that were non-IP.  Because some folks might need an option to make w
>	not do any resolver lookups, I also added -l which mirrors the
>	the existing -n flag, and ensures no nameserver calls get executed.

   Actually, I strongly dislike the 4.4 "w" doing nameserver lookups by
default. On any reasonable system that has > 20 users on it, it can take
anywhere from several seconds to several minutes for the w output to finish.
In my opinion, the default for w should be reverted back to the old behavior
of trusting what is in wtmp.

-DG