Date:      Sat, 25 Apr 1998 21:13:48 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Dmitry Kohmanyuk <dk@dog.farm.org>
To:        rzig@verio.net (Raul Zighelboim)
Cc:        freebsd-hardware@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: which multiport serial controler ?

In article <A03CD00C69B1D01195AB00A024ECEB167F9DD5@kaori.communique.net> you wrote:

> Hello there;
> 	I am shopping for a multiport serial controller (at least 8
> ports) to set up a 'console server', ie, to connect the serial console
> of a serie of servers.
> 	This system will run FreeBSd, so ... which of the supported
> controller is best suted for the task ?

I have used Cyclades (16-port, ISA, cy driver) with good results
in exactly same application (console server for serial consoles).
It's rumored to have problems with 115200 on all ports at the same
time, but you probably wouldn't care.

There are PCI models also;  a bit more expensive, and there was
a bug in FreeBSD driver (now corrected) which prevented its operation.

The fun thing about cyclades is that the host card is pretty small and dumb,
the logic is in Cirrus Logic CPUs inside the DB25 connector box
and the cable has SCSI-2 pinout (and is chainable).  I wonder isn't it
SCSI encapsulated ;-)

/usr/ports/*/rtty/ is highly recommended.

--
You Know You've Been Hacking Too Long When...
"s/he's a nice person but I'll wait for the next release."