Date:      Mon, 1 Jan 2001 00:32:21 -0600
From:      David Kelly <dkelly@hiwaay.net>
To:        Ying-Chieh Liao <ijliao@csie.nctu.edu.tw>
Cc:        Jorge Biquez <jbiquez@icsmx.com>, freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Newsyslog for rotating APACHE logs

On Mon, Jan 01, 2001 at 01:38:52PM +0800, Ying-Chieh Liao wrote:

> why not use
>
> newsyslog.conf:
>
> /usr/home/sites/logsite01txt            664  9     *    1503  B		/path/to/httpd.pid
>
> and you dont have to add "killall -HUP httpd" in your crontab

The original posting said the rotation wasn't working at all. I think
that was/is due to the 1503 in the line above telling newsyslog to
rotate only when the file is 1503 hours old, which is not the same as
"rotate at 1503 every day".

The standard path to httpd.pid is /var/run/httpd.pid. But considering
the system appears to be running multiple virtual sites, no telling
how many different httpds are running.

--
David Kelly N4HHE, dkelly@hiwaay.net