Date:      Tue, 12 Nov 1996 21:59:09 -0800
From:      phbrown@ix.netcom.com (Parker Brown)
To:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   2.1.5 Installation anomolies, related problems

1.44 external, Cirrus5424.
User: exp with Minix, Linux, BSD 2.0.5, 2.1.0, 2.1.5, but still not a
qualified geek.

BSD loaded onto first 700 MB of second HDD (wd1a), always choosing
novice & defaults.  First time all went well until about half way
through packages installation, began receiving constant failure
messages.  <alt><F2>  screen messages indicated proc table overflows.

Second installation, started at beginning again, but this time just got
a clean BSD and X-windows setup, then booted that, reconfigured the
kernel and booted that.  Clean.  Then, as root, mounted the CD_ROM,
entered /stand/sysinstall and tried to install the packages again.  No
proc table overflows this time, but the emacs installation blew up with
(and this is a quote) "some error", and of course this time <alt><F2>
only switched me to an alternate console, not the error msg screen of
the installation kernel.  Also, got several "unable to fetch" messages
for rzsz, wine, uzap, kermit, spice and netscape.  Hard to understand
why they would be there to select if not included on the CD.  Called
Walnut Creek, where I got it from, and they guy just said "package that
up just like you told it to me and e-mail it to freebsd.org".  At least
in 2.1.0 there was a setup to ftp netscape, which I can understand, but
this seems different.  Can you guys please help?

ALSO, I'm really frustrated with internet access thru BSD (I have to
use DOS/Win to access my ppp account, and I'm not a real Microsoft
fan).  I've got ppp to the point where I respond to the Netcom username
and password prompt, and at that point my ppp prompt looks something
like      PPP ON pb>   (ppp & on went to capitals)  so I think I'm
logged in, but I can't do anything on the net --- it's like I'm in the
control room and somebody turned the lights off!  I get these warning
messages about no password in ppp.secret and the whole world can
manipulate my system (man ppp tells me "if you set your hostname &
password in ppp.secret you can't do anything except run the quit and
help commands", so why would I want to do that?  Also, in X-Windows,
I've tried every sequence & combination of ppp and Mosaic, but Mosaic
cannot access the net --- my guess is that ppp is not set up properly
yet.

Even if I have to read ANOTHER whole book just to get ppp to work, I'll
do it.  Walnut Creek refuses to help with ppp, saying they only support
installation.  Well, I'm a Novell reseller, and if I sold & set up
ANYTHING to my clientele that didn't work, they certianly wouldn't
consider it installed.  Please give me whatever short-term and/or
long-term advise you can.  (The guys at Netcom tried, but they don't
seem to be UNIX oriented).

Should I replace references to myname.domain.com (oh yeah, and
foo.bar.com!) to ix.netcom.com?  Walnut Creeks new documentation on
FreeBSD installation is quite good, but NOTHING tells me about that
sort of thing.

Thanks for your help.