Date:      Sun, 23 Nov 2014 11:45:59 -0700
From:      "Russell L. Carter" <rcarter@pinyon.org>
To:        freebsd-ports@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: value of maintaining emacs-mode packages in ports

On 11/23/14 02:05, Fabian Keil wrote:
> "Christopher J. Ruwe" <cjr@cruwe.de> wrote:
>
>> I am well aware that very probably I might be starting a rant
>> thread, however, I am genuinely interested in opinions from the
>> community.
>>
>> Since version 24, Emacs, the very good operating system missing
>> only a decent editor, has developed a package manager for Emacs
>> extensions. Some good repos exist, packages are usually installed
>> to ~/.emacs.d and I have come to really enjoy that way of
>> installing packages.
>>
>> In that light and as the ports maintainer of math/ess, the Emacs
>> speaks statistics R-mode of emacs, I am asking myself
>> specifically whether I add any real benefit in maintaining
>> math/ess. More generally, I am interested in community answers as
>> to whether it is really useful to maintain
>> Emacs-extension-packages in ports.
>
> I don't use math/ess, but in general I prefer to install
> application extensions from ports. I already know how it works and
> this way I also can check were the software is coming from without
> having to familiarise myself with various different package
> managers and know that checksums have been verified before
> installing it.
>
> Does ELPA verify checksums? After searching the web for a couple
> of minutes My impression is that it installs whatever the server
> (or a MITM) provides but hopefully my impression is incorrect.

I prefer to let emacs manage its packages, so that I can
easily move my environment from system to system (not
necessarily FreeBSD).  My inits and all the required packages
live in one place: .emacs.d.  I have zero emacs ports installed,
other than emacs itself.  rsyncing .emacs.d to linuxen works
as it should.

elpa/melpa et al were a little rocky a few years ago but now
things are smooth.

I completely agree that the issues raised in favor of ports are
also valid.

Best regards,
Russell