Date:      Thu, 10 Feb 2005 15:53:52 -0500
From:      Tom Trelvik <ttt@cwru.edu>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: groff/font/devX100 segfault in "make installworld"

	Okay, so, no response initially, hopefully you guys won't mind some
quicker and more specific followups, then.

	I just reinstalled again, followed only the steps I documented below
(minus the vim & portupgrade installs), and had identical results.  This
time, however, I tried changing the tag in my cvs-supfile from
RELENG_5_3 to RELENG_5 and was able to successfully rebuild the source
tree, but I know I tried that to no avail when I first encountered this
problem a few months ago, and I'm not sure why it worked now (to be sure
I then rolled it back to RELENG_5_3, saw the same problem, and
successfully switched back to RELENG_5 again).  But, ideally, I'd like
to keep my production servers on RELENG_5_3 so that the only regular
changes should be security patches (of course, these are exactly the
kinds of surprises I was hoping to avoid by sticking with RELENG_5_3).

	So, my questions:

1)  Was this not the best place to post a question like this?  If not, I
apologize, but where would have been more appropriate?

2)  Was I not following the instructions/documentation properly for
upgrading my system after install?  (I got most of it initially from a
series of Dru Lavigne articles on Oreilly, but followed up by reading
the relevant portions of the handbook as well.)

3)  If it does appear I was doing things properly, should I report this
somewhere as a possible problem?  I have been able to repeatedly
reproduce this on multiple computers (though identical in hardware)
across the span of at least 3 months (updating the source tree minutes
before trying, each time), many of which were completely fresh installs.

4)  Is there some way I could make the buildworld/installworld just skip
at least the devX100 font if not all of groff in order to avoid this
problem?  Obviously that approach could be a problem for many other
programs, but groff doesn't seem worth worrying over if it's preventing
me from keeping my system patched.  Or, if that's not a good idea, what
might be a better work around?

Thanks again!

Tom