Date:      Sat, 27 Oct 2001 19:49:05 -0400
From:      Louis LeBlanc <leblanc+freebsd@keyslapper.org>
To:        questions@FreeBSD.org, freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: DHCP not getting IP

On 10/27/01 09:34 PM, John Murphy sat at the `puter and typed:
> "Jeremy Cooper" <jmcoop5@hotmail.com> wrote:
>
> >I have been trying to set up my first freebsd box using dhcp.  I have tried
> >a few things but I am unable to get an IP address
> >from my ISP, Starpower via cable modem.  I have tried a few things but I am
> >stuck right now.  Does anyone have any
> >suggestions.
>
> I use a cable modem with an ISP that requires the MAC (ether) address
> of the NIC is registered with them.  Perhaps Starpower is similar.

But don't bother swapping out the nic or registering the new MAC with
your ISP.  I had some problems at first with this, and someone on this
list pointed out an easy solution:

Create the file /etc/start_if.xl0
(assuming the interface you are configuring with DHCP is xl0)
and put something like the following in that file:

ifconfig xl0 ether 00:a0:cc:33:55:25

With the MAC of the nic that is registered with your ISP.  Just make
sure to release it from the other system first.  This releases you
from having to call your ISP and wait on the phone for hours trying to
get the new MAC registered.  Simply replace the nic and adjust the
interface name if necessary, and your ISP will never care.

Just my $0.02
HTH
Lou
--