Date:      Tue, 21 Apr 1998 10:22:54 -0600 (MDT)
From:      "Kenneth D. Merry" <ken@plutotech.com>
To:        syssgm@dtir.qld.gov.au (Stephen McKay)
Cc:        freebsd-current@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: NFS corruption

Stephen McKay wrote...
> NFS is eating my .depend files during a make world.

	I can confirm this, but not from make world.  I've got a source
tree here that blows up when I compile over NFS.

> The client is a Compaq Prolinea 486SX33 with 12Mb ram and 2 small SCSI-1
> disks on an Adaptec 1542b.  The server is a pentium 133 with 32Mb ram and
> 2 4Gb IBM UW SCSI disks on a FirePort 40 (ncr 875).
>
> The source and objects are on the server and NFS mounted to the client.  The
> client mounts src readonly and obj read-write (and async, if that does
> anything under NFS).

	I have a similar setup, except the source and objects are in the
same place, and the mount is r/w and not async.

> The client kernel (and userland) is -current from April 19 (April 18 US time),
> and has DIAGNOSTIC set.  The server is -current from March 12, just before
> the big VM changes.

	In my case, the client is from a week or two ago, and the server
kernel was built from yesterday's sources.

> Memory is short on the client, so paging is brisk.  There is plenty of
> swap space free.  I don't run CAM or softupdates.

	I'm running CAM, I don't think that has anything to do with it.
The client only has 24MB of memory, but it doesn't look like I'm running
into swap at all:

Device      1K-blocks     Used    Avail Capacity  Type
/dev/da0b      122880        0   122752     0%    Interleaved

> I ran 'make -j2 buildworld' and several hours later observed unusual error
> messages complaining about garbage in .depend files.  Many .depend files
> were affected.  Each .depend file was broken similarly.  They would start
> normally, then the corruption would start on a page boundary (multiple of
> 0x1000), but *not* extend as far as the next page boundary.  The corruption
> was either C source, or C preprocessor output overwriting the normal contents.

	Right, I have the same problem.  The corruption in the .depend
files starts exactly at 0x1000, and continues on for a while, but not for
a full page.

	From what Karl says, John is already aware of the problem.  I just
thought I'd confirm your findings...

Ken