Date:      Tue, 04 Feb 1997 16:54:45 -0800
From:      Jason Thorpe <thorpej@NetBSD.ORG>
To:        www@freebsd.org
Cc:        core@NetBSD.ORG
Subject:   Related Operating System Projects

Hello,

At the bottom of the page:

	http://www.freebsd.org/support.html

is the following text:

	Related Operating System Projects

	- NetBSD is a very close relative of FreeBSD.
	- OpenBSD is derived from NetBSD and supported by a group of
	  former NetBSD developers.
	- Linux is another free Unix-like system.
	- Lites is a 4.4 BSD Lite based server and emulation library
	  that provides free unix unctionality to a Mach based system.
	- The GNU HURD project is another effort to develop a free
	  Unix-like operating system.

I must object to the first two bullets, but can suggest alternatives
that contain much more accurate information:

	- NetBSD is another free 4.4BSD-Lite based operating
	  system which runs on several different architectures,
	  including the Alpha, SPARC, m68k, ARM, and others.

I don't have a suggestion for the second bullet.  However, I object
to any reference to NetBSD in an OpenBSD bullet.  They are two
completely separate projects, which are in no way related.  Relating
the two only leads to confusion.

Thanks very much for your attention in this matter.

Jason R. Thorpe
NetBSD Core Group
<thorpej@NetBSD.ORG>