Date:      Fri, 11 Jan 2002 01:03:51 -0800 (PST)
From:      Ken Bolingbroke <hacker@bolingbroke.com>
To:        RJ45 <rj45@slacknet.com>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: how to gain more space from filesystem on FreeBSD?

On Fri, 11 Jan 2002, RJ45 wrote:

> I have this 100GB disk
> /dev/ad1e    96159230        2 88466490     0%    /vacancy
>
> nearly 10GB are lost in overhead.
> How can I Reduce the FS overhead?
> And if I can do it what are the consequences for performance?
> thanks a lot

From 'man tunefs'

 -m minfree
         Specify the percentage of space held back from normal users; the
         minimum free space threshold.  The default value used is 8%.
         This value can be set to zero, however up to a factor of three in
         throughput will be lost over the performance obtained at a 10%
         threshold.  Settings of 5% and less force space optimization to
         always be used which will greatly increase the overhead for file
         writes.  Note that if the value is raised above the current usage
         level, users will be unable to allocate files until enough files
         have been deleted to get under the higher threshold.

As noted, by default 8% of the file system is reserved for the root user
(which would be ~8GB in your case).  It's still there, it's just that only
the root user can use it if the filesystem should be filled up.

You can adjust the default to get some of the space back, just note the
warning on performance impact.

Ken Bolingbroke
hacker@bolingbroke.com