Date:      Sat, 10 Mar 2001 18:06:10 -0500
From:      "G. Jason Middleton" <gmiddl1@gl.umbc.edu>
To:        <freebsd-questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   init.d and rc directories

well ladies and gentlemen i am installing qmail and following the
directions on qmail.orgs home page "life with Qmail"

I have it installed and i am at the point where i need to create a startup
script and it says to install it into my "init.d" directory.  However i
have no init.d directory!  After that it also wants me to create links
using ln to my rc directories...but i cannot find them either!  I have
looked all over..../etc/  etc etc.

anyway here is where i am at and what i am supposed to be doing....does
FreeBSD have an init.d directory?  and all these rc# files?

Create the script using your editor or by downloading it with your web
browser, then install it into your system's init.d directory, which should
be in one of the following locations:

/etc/init.d
/sbin/init.d
/etc/rc.d/init.d
Name the script qmail. You'll also need to link the script into a couple
of "rc" directories. These directories are named like rcN.d, where N is
the runlevel they apply to. The intricacies of the startup directory tree
are beyond the scope of this document, so if these simplified instructions
don't suffice, consult your system documentation. Your rc directories will
probably be in one of:

/etc
/sbin
/etc/rc.d
To create the links, execute the following commands, replacing RCDIR with
the location of your system's rc directories:

    ln -s ../init.d/qmail RCDIR/rc0.d/K30qmail
    ln -s ../init.d/qmail RCDIR/rc1.d/K30qmail
    ln -s ../init.d/qmail RCDIR/rc2.d/S80qmail
    ln -s ../init.d/qmail RCDIR/rc3.d/S80qmail
    ln -s ../init.d/qmail RCDIR/rc4.d/S80qmail
    ln -s ../init.d/qmail RCDIR/rc5.d/S80qmail
    ln -s ../init.d/qmail RCDIR/rc6.d/K30qmail

Note: the numbers in the previous step are highly system dependent, but
somewhat flexible. If Sendmail is currently installed, running the command
"find RCDIR -name "*sendmail" -print" will give you numbers that should
work for your system.

Anyone have any experience with this stuff?

Regards,

G. Jason Middleton

Announcement:

The revolution will not be televised.