Date:      Fri, 1 Feb 2002 11:38:58 -0800 (PST)
From:      Ken Bolingbroke <hacker@bolingbroke.com>
To:        Ozzie Gurkan <ozziegurkan@hotmail.com>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Must free up disk space -- /usr/src, what's this?

On Fri, 1 Feb 2002, Ozzie Gurkan wrote:

> I just ran du on my machine today and got the following usage,
> 283M       /usr/src
> 479M       /usr/ports
>
> Are these numbers normal? Can I remove anything under /usr/src/ or
> /usr/ports?

/usr/src contains the source code for the kernel and base system.  If
you're never going to build a new or custom kernel or do a buildworld, you
can safely delete the entire contents of /usr/src.

/usr/ports is the Ports Collection.  If you frequently install common
software packages, you would probably want to use the Ports.  If you don't
use this to install software on your system, you can also safely delete
the entire contents of /usr/ports.

Also, if you want to reclaim that space now, you can use CVS to bring
/usr/src and/or /usr/ports back.

Ken Bolingbroke
hacker@bolingbroke.com