Date:      Mon, 8 Nov 1999 14:35:44 -0800 (PST)
From:      Matthew Jacob <mjacob@feral.com>
To:        "Michael S. Fischer" <michael@wendy.auctionwatch.com>
Cc:        freebsd-scsi@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Trouble with QLogic 2200

(trimmed to just -scsi).

On Mon, 8 Nov 1999, Michael S. Fischer wrote:

> Hi there,
>
> We're attempting to do some tests for a potential rollout of a new
> service, and we really want to use FreeBSD with FC-AL storage.  We checked
> the hardware compatibility lists, and decided to go with a QLogic QLC-2200
> PCI Fibre Channel controller.   The card has been installed, and the BIOS
> works just fine.  However, when we attempt to boot from the 3.3-RELEASE
> CD, the kernel recognizes the card during the device probe, but hangs with
> the following message:

> Waiting 15 seconds for SCSI devices to settle
> isp0: Firmware State Config Wait -> Loss Of Sync

This means that a good loop is not being made. Unfortunately there isn't a
good fix for this yet in the driver. I need to do some work to make the
wait period much shorter for the initial probe so that an unconnected card
doesn't hang you. This is tricky because you don't want to invalidate
devices you've attached just because somebody has kicked the cable loose.

> Is my only choice here to boot with some sort of Fibre Channel disk
> attached?  Ours have not arrived yet, so I can't test whether or not the
> kernel will finish loading if the card is connected to a loop.

Try disabling the card from either the boot prompt or loader.conf, i.e.

in loader.conf:

isp_disable=1

or from the boot prompt

set isp_disable=1

I am very eager to hear about additional FC-AL experiences you will have.

-matt