Date:      Fri, 2 Aug 2002 11:23:27 -0700
From:      Scott Lampert <scott@lampert.org>
To:        Toomas Aas <toomas.aas@raad.tartu.ee>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Starting postfix on 4.6

On Fri, Aug 02, 2002 at 09:10:58PM +0300, Toomas Aas wrote:
> From: "Toomas Aas" <toomas.aas@raad.tartu.ee>
> To: freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
> Date: Fri, 2 Aug 2002 21:10:58 +0300
> Subject: Starting postfix on 4.6
>
> Hello!
>
> The new Sendmail startup mechanism on 4.6 requires that people using
> MTAs other than Sendmail specify the startup script with
> mta_start_script variable in rc.conf. I'm using an old(ish) version
> of Postfix, installed from ports in July 2001 and I can't figure out
> what the value of mta_start_script should be. As a wild guess, I
> tried "/usr/local/sbin/postfix" and "/usr/local/sbin/postfix start",
> but it didn't work (error messages on bootup scroll off the screen so
> fast I can't read them and they don't seem to get logged anywhere).
>
> As a workaround, I created an /usr/local/etc/rc.d/postfix.sh script
> which works OK, but it seems kind of inelegant.

You should read /usr/ports/mail/postfix/pkg-message.  This file is
displayed if you install or upgrade a more recent version of Postfix. Be
sure to cvsup your ports tree if you haven't in a long time or that file
may not exist.

One caveat with the procedure mentioned in there, however, is that if
you compile Postfix with MySQL support, you cannot load the resulting
Postfix the way those instructions suggest.  The issue is that the MySQL
library path isn't merged in until the scripts in /usr/local/etc/rc.d
are loaded.  In that case you can either write your own rc.postfix
script that handles this case or just do:

ln -s /usr/local/sbin/postfix /etc/postfix.sh

    -Scott

--
Scott Lampert
<scott@lampert.org>