Date:      Fri, 22 Mar 2002 09:08:10 -0500
From:      "Joe & Fhe Barbish" <barbish@a1poweruser.com>
To:        "Matt Lazarou" <optical_longhaul@hotmail.com>
Cc:        "FBSDQ" <questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   RE: Regarding Interface For My NIC

You left out some very important info.
Who is this Nic talking to?
Is it to a lan or to a cable modem?
Configuring a cable modem.
You don't need to configure a user ppp.conf file to connect to your cable
provider. However, you do need an IP address in order to use the Internet.
Your cable provider has computers called DHCP (Dynamic Host Configuration
Protocol) servers that will automatically provide your FBSD system with all
the information it needs to communicate with the internet. In order to
communicate with the cable provider's DHCP servers, you must configure your
FBSD Nic card that is cabled to the cable modem to use the DHCP client
software that is built into the core kernel of FBSD.
To active it, Edit /etc/rc.conf and add the following statement.

    ee /etc/rc.conf
    ifconfig_xl0="DHCP"     Where xl0 is the FBSD Nic card device name.

That's it, configuration complete. Reboot to activate.
Assuming your cable modem is physically connected to your cable provider
with a functioning circuit and their DHCP server is running. Toward the end
of your boot messages, you should notice one or more DHCPREQUESTS messages
followed by a DHCPACK message and DHCP information messages, which should
include your IP address, default gateway address, DNS server address, and
lease period, displayed on the root console screen.
This is all based on your Nic card being found during the boot process.
Check /var/run/dmesg.boot to verify your nic card is found and usable.