Date:      Sun, 15 Oct 2000 18:32:12 -0800
From:      Kirk Brogdon <kirk@alaptech.com>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   MX loop error after sendmail upgrade

I did a fresh cvsup, buildworld, mergemaster - the usual - and when I try
run sendmail with the new sendmail.cf, I get the following error when I
send myself an email:

    (reason: system config error)

553 5.3.5 alaptech.com. config error: mail loops back to me (MX problem?)
554 5.3.5 kirk@alaptech.com... Local configuration error

I've read the /usr/src/UPDATING regarding the sendmail aliases issues
and have created the link, removed and rebuilt the aliases.db
with newaliases (although my aliases were already in /etc/mail
before I did the mergmaster so I don't think this is an issue).

I added my domain to the DM line in the new sendmail.cf and
have also created an /etc/mail/local-hosts-names file by
copying my sendmail.cw file since it appears that has changed
in the new version.

If I copy back the old sendmail.cf everything seems to work other
than a terse little message saying that my sendmail.cf file is
out of date.

Does anyone know specifically what is wrong?  I have the great
big book of Sendmail but it kind of hurts my brain.

The old sendmail.cf is version 8.9.3 and the new one is 8.11

Thanks - Kirk

--
ALAP Technology
PO Box 672298