Date:      Thu, 10 Feb 2005 13:01:08 -0800
From:      Kris Kennaway <kris@obsecurity.org>
To:        Mark Jayson Alvarez <jay2xra@yahoo.com>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Make fails because of missing library but I can see it's there, why???

--5mCyUwZo2JvN/JJP

On Thu, Feb 10, 2005 at 12:42:55AM -0800, Mark Jayson Alvarez wrote:
> Hi,
>   This always happens to me whenever I'm compiling
> third party applications. Make fails because it says
> that it cannot find a certain library.. and when I try
> to search for that file, I usually finds it. For
> example, I'm compiling, nagios-plugins but it fails
> with this error messages:
>=20
> check_ldap.c:31:18: lber.h: No such file or directory
> check_ldap.c:32:18: ldap.h: No such file or directory
>=20
> but when I run:
> # find / -name "ldap.h" -print
> /usr/lib/ldap.h
> /usr/local/lib/ldap.h
> /usr/local/include/ldap.h
> noc# find / -name "lber.h" -print
> /usr/lib/lber.h
> /usr/local/lib/lber.h
> /usr/local/include/lber.h
>=20
> See.. it's all there! I'm thinking perhaps there's a
> way for me to tell a compiler that the system wide
> library files are found in that certain directory.
>=20
> Any idea??

You need to specify -I and -L with gcc to point to location of files
outside the default search path (which is /usr/include and /usr/lib
respectively).

Kris

P.S. You've polluted the base system with those headers (/usr/lib)
which may cause you problems later on.

--5mCyUwZo2JvN/JJP

--5mCyUwZo2JvN/JJP--