Date:      Tue, 2 Apr 96 10:30:58 MET DST
From:      Greg Lehey <lehey.pad@sni.de>
To:        terry@lambert.org (Terry Lambert)
Cc:        dec@lazarus.nrtc.northrop.com, freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: Stop^H^H^H^HRecofi^H^Hnfiguring tgo ^H^H^Ho gt^Hreater than 16Mbyte Tex^H^H^HProces ^Hs Text Segments

Forwarded message:

> From owner-freebsd-questions Mon Apr  1 18:18:02 1996
> From: Terry Lambert <terry@lambert.org>
> Subject: Re: Stop^H^H^H^HRecofi^H^Hnfiguring tgo ^H^H^Ho gt^Hreater than 16Mbyte Tex^H^H^HProces ^Hs Text Segments
> To: dec@lazarus.nrtc.northrop.com
> Date: Mon, 1 Apr 1996 17:51:11 -0700 (MST)
> Cc: freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.org
> Sender: owner-questions@FreeBSD.org
>

>> Hi Folks,
>>
>> What's the magic to reconfigure FreeBSD 2.1 to support larger than
>> 16Mbyte Text Segments?
>
> stty erase
>
> Just joking...

In case you don't understand Terry's joke, he's referring to the fact
that your message contained a lot of backspace characters (^H).
Depending on your mail reader, you may or may not see them.
For example, I see the first line above as:

  What's the maj^Hgic to reconfigure 2.^H^HFreeBSD 2.1 to support larger than

You should put the "stty erase ^H" somewhere in your shell startup
script (.profile or .cshrc, depending on the shell).

Greg