Date:      Sun, 23 Jun 2002 17:14:58 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Paul Herman <pherman@frenchfries.net>
To:        "Matthew D. Fuller" <fullermd@over-yonder.net>
Cc:        "Geoffrey C. Speicher" <geoff@sea-incorporated.com>, <freebsd-hackers@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: bug in pw, -STABLE [patch]

On Sun, 23 Jun 2002, Matthew D. Fuller wrote:

> I don't claim this is perfect for every case; I'm just taking aim
> at the common case, where it's currently far too easy to
> accidentally screw yourself in the foot.

...and have the screw (or bullet) delivered as precisely, quickly
and efficiently as possible.

Clearly, at the root of our disagreement is what we both perceive
the problem to be.

I don't see problems in the current implementation, aside from bugs
that lead to unexpected behavior, i.e. passwd file corruption.
You see the problem as a deficiency in the implementation itself,
and wish to protect the user from shooting themselves in the foot.

Not only do I think that's impossible[*], I choose to fight for my
right to shoot myself in the foot as quickly and efficiently as
possible, but that's where we'll disagree, and I'll just leave it
at that and wish you a good night's sleep.

-Paul.

[*] Patch to vi refusing to edit filenames containing
"master.passwd" withheld by request.  ;-)