Date:      Mon, 17 Jul 2006 19:33:45 +0200
From:      =?UTF-8?B?TmFneSBMw6FzemzDsyBac29sdA==?= <nagylzs@freemail.hu>
To:        Atom Powers <atom.powers@gmail.com>,  freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: LDAP Thunderbird and security (OFF)

> First, OpenLDAP isn't easy to set up; but it's worth the trouble.
> You should probably move this to the openldap list, or the thunderbird
> list, since it really has nothing to do with FreeBSD.
Yes, this is (OFF), see the subject. Unfortunately, the openldap mailing
list is not active. I could hardly subscribe, and then nobody answered.

> I have Thurderbird reading my directory, but I haven't worked on
> getting Thunderbird to write to an LDAP directory. You need to set up
> your LDAP with TLS and the proper ACLs; and depending on your
> situation you may want a seperate ou for the address book. Maybe even
> a seperate ou for each user (ouch). No special schema required, it
> should read the standard "mail", "phone", etc attributes. Check the
> LDAP RFCs for a complete list.

Well, after a day messing with these, I tried to find other solutions.
Here is what I found:

http://www.gargan.org/extensions/synckolab.html

It is not perfect, because you need to press a button to synchronize.
But it is easy to install, and it uses the already existing IMAP server.

Thank you

   Laszlo