Date:      Fri, 9 Nov 2001 04:43:49 -0600
From:      Mike Meyer <mwm@mired.org>
To:        Doug Poland <doug@polands.org>
Cc:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: custom kernel make questions

Doug Poland <doug@polands.org> types:
> Hi,
>
> I have a question about the make process concerning custom kernels.
> All the documentation I've read outlines the steps:
[Two different build methods deleted.]
> My question, am I missing the make depend?  Is it happening
> "under the covers"?   I've been doing this on a bunch of machines
> for several months now and everything *seems* to work.

Since no one else answered the question directly - yes, the "make
depend" is done for you "under the covers" when you use the "new" way.

I quote new because it would be more correct to call it the "upgrade"
way. The old way is the fastest way to build a new kernel for the
running system. You're building from the sources that match the
running system, but are changing options, or working on a driver, or
some such. The "new" way looks for tools in /usr/obj to do the build
with, meaning that it's the right thing to use if you're building
sources that don't match the running system - after doing a "make buildworld",
of course. The downside is that it does the complete song-and-dance to
build a kernel, even if some parts of that routine aren't needed in
this case.

	<mike
Q: How do you make the gods laugh?		A: Tell them your plans.