Date:      Wed, 20 May 1998 11:13:26 -0700 (PDT)
From:      "Jonathan M. Bresler" <jmb>
To:        jkh@time.cdrom.com (Jordan K. Hubbard)
Cc:        hasty@rah.star-gate.com, kline@tera.tera.com, freebsd@atipa.com, freebsd-chat@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Why we should support Microsoft...

Jordan K. Hubbard wrote:
> > So what is your suggestion on how should the DOJ treat Microsoft business
> > pratice?
>
> I recommend that the DOJ just leave Microsoft the hell alone.

[snip a lot about microsoft]

	the DOJ should strive to break microsoft into two companies:
	an operating system firm and an applications firm.  microsoft
	uses its os to force applcations upon users.  microsoft
	has stolen apps that it failed to write.  some of these
	have been added to the os product package.

	separating the os from the apps, and verifing that os
	information was provided to all apps developers would allow
	competition to exist without microsoft holding veto power.
	(how many remember disassembling DOS to learn how to print
	while doing something else at the same time ;)

	there is no competition in desktop os....as you have said
	many times, jordan.  let the os become the equivalent of
	the long distance carrier and the apps the equivalent of
	the local phone companies.  the breakup of att is the
	example here.

	to address the immediate issue: the DOJ should not allow
	that monopoly power to be used to create a more favorable
	enviroment for IE than for netscape.  we saw this trick
	with regard to stacker.

jmb