Date:      26 Feb 2002 12:46:36 -0600
From:      Bob Van Valzah <Bob@Talarian.Com>
To:        smp@FreeBSD.Org
Subject:   Performance vs. Stable

I have run lmbench on 4.5-STABLE and 5.0-CURRENT (as of late last week).
I believe this might give some insight into the relative performance of
these kernels on uniprocessor micro benchmarks. (I know there a lot of
other things I could benchmark and I don't mean to suggest that this is
a particularly *important* area. It was just an easy area to do first.)

I am being cautious in interpreting the results since I don't have much
experience running lmbench and I haven't yet done anything to confirm my
results. I have some thoughts about where I should go next in
benchmarking, but I welcome your input too.

		(Best numbers are starred, i.e., *123)

        Processor, Processes - factor slower than the best
Host                 OS  Mhz    Null    Null  Simple /bin/sh Mmap 2-proc
8-proc
                             Syscall Process Process Process  lat
ctxsw  ctxsw
--------- ------------- ---- ------- ------- ------- ------- ---- ------
------
TwinHead  FreeBSD 4.5-S  228     *61   *3.7K  *13.6K  *24.3K *121
*27    *30
TwinHead. FreeBSD 5.0-2  232     1.8     1.4     1.5     1.5  1.8
3.7    4.9

If I interpret the above output correctly, the largest slowdown comes in
context switching. I haven't yet looked with kgmon/gprof to figure out
where the difference comes from, but that might be a reasonable next
step.

	Bob