Date:      Mon, 11 Mar 2002 05:10:01 -0800 (PST)
From:      Michael Wardle <michael@endbracket.net>
To:        freebsd-bugs@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: bin/35769: w does not correctly interpret X sessions

The following reply was made to PR bin/35769; it has been noted by GNATS.

From: Michael Wardle <michael@endbracket.net>
To: "Crist J. Clark" <cjc@FreeBSD.ORG>
Cc: freebsd-gnats-submit@FreeBSD.ORG
Date: Mon, 11 Mar 2002 05:09:30 -0800 (PST)

 [...]

 > What does 'tty' return for one of these sessions?

 This is precisely the problem -- it is not a terminal, indeed there is
 no way to issue "tty".  I can only issue "tty" if I start a terminal
 emulator, but the problem is when w tries to look directly at the X
 session itself, not any terminal I have spawned from within the X
 session.

 In the same way, I can't "write" a user on one of these X sessions
 unless they have opened a terminal emulator (such as xterm or konsole).