Date:      Fri, 9 Nov 2001 04:59:01 -0600
From:      Mike Meyer <mwm@mired.org>
To:        "Ted Mittelstaedt" <tedm@toybox.placo.com>
Cc:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   RE: Lockdown of FreeBSD machine directly on Net

Ted Mittelstaedt <tedm@toybox.placo.com> types:
> What always amazes me is the number of people in our town that are still
> staggering along with these small ISP's that have been losing money for
> years.  Don't their S.O.'s get tired of supporting them?!

Hey - that looks like a *question*! So I'll answer it.

There are two industries that call their customers "users". Small
operators in both business buy the product in bulk for their own use,
then resell the excess to other users. If you're in the legal industry
- as opposed to the illegal one - you get to write off the costs of
your connections against your income, so making it not lose money
isn't all that hard.  You don't make very much money out of it, and
the hours suck - but you're always home to deal with things while your
S.O. is at work, so they'll put up with it.

I gave this a serious look at one point in the past, figured I could
make it go, but the hours would be sufficiently painfull so as to make
it not worth the trouble. I chose to do contract work over the network
line to get the tax justification, and have a good accountant to work
the numbers.

	<mike
Q: How do you make the gods laugh?		A: Tell them your plans.