Date:      Wed, 2 Apr 1997 15:50:02 -0800 (PST)
From:      "Gary Palmer" <gpalmer@freebsd.org>
To:        freebsd-bugs
Subject:   Re: conf/3167: Wierd CGI Behavior on heavily loaded webserver.

The following reply was made to PR conf/3167; it has been noted by GNATS.

From: "Gary Palmer" <gpalmer@freebsd.org>
To: hawke@hawke.nkn.net
Cc: freebsd-gnats-submit@freebsd.org
Date: Wed, 02 Apr 1997 18:44:07 -0500

 hawke@hawke.nkn.net wrote in message ID
 <199704012219.OAA06675@freefall.freebsd.org>:

 > Having set up the server following all of the settings for Extremely
 > busy FreeBSD servers, and compiling with the suggestions on the
 > FIN_WAIT_2 problem , I am still experiencing CGI scripts failing
 > within SECONDS of restarting the Web Server, The error is the same,
 > "Internal Misconfiguration, please contact webmaster" error that
 > would occur if something was wrong in the script. Howev er, If I HUP
 > the web server, the scripts will work properly for about 15 Secs, th
 > en the error will reappear. The server is a Dual Pentium Pro 200 w/
 > 256 MB Ram, and 4GB SCSI HDD.

 Try recompiling the kernel with higher per-user process limits or
 start the apache server from a command prompt which has had the limits
 raised. Alternatively, use apache 1.2b7 which has the ability to
 change the resource limits to values specified in its configuration
 file. Or, if you are nuts, like me, hack the apache startup code to do
 the appropriate calls to increase the limits :)

 Gary