Date:      Fri, 9 Nov 2001 12:08:47 +0100 (CET)
From:      =?iso-8859-1?q?m=20p?= <sumirati@yahoo.de>
To:        cjclark@alum.mit.edu, setantae@submonkey.net
Cc:        questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: too many dynamic rules

"Crist J. Clark" wrote:

> On Thu, Nov 08, 2001 at 08:12:07PM +0000, setantae wrote:
> >
> > Can't find anything in the archives at MARC, and not sure which list
> > I should be talking to, so please set followups appropriately if it
> > bothers you.
> >
> > For approximately 18 seconds today my firewall went apesh*t
> >  (these are all relevant entries) :
> >
> > Nov  8 14:47:45 rhadamanth /kernel: Too many dynamic rules, sorry
> > Nov  8 14:47:45 rhadamanth natd[218]: failed to write packet back
(Permission denied)

> [snip]
>
> > At the time there was only one user logged onto the box, and no clients
> > behind the firewall - unfortunately I have no idea what I was doing at the
> > time,
>
> You wouldn't have happened to have been port scanning someone (nmap or
> the like)?

Hi,

he said, that he was upgrading the ports-collection on his machine. For that
purpose a connection to every ftp where the source is will be made. That may
exceed on a fast connction the maximum defined for dynamic rules.

So please check your setting how many dynamic rules you allow and add some
during port upgrade :)

Just my DEM 0.02

Marc