Date:      Thu, 25 Mar 1999 23:14:16 -0600 (CST)
From:      Frank Tobin <ftobin@bigfoot.com>
Subject:   Re: sudo (was Re: Kerberos vs SSH)

James Wyatt, on Thu, 25 Mar 1999, wrote:

> The thing I don't like about it is that it makes programs like linsniffer
> more effective. It looks at TCP startups of telnet, FTP, pop, etc... and
> very nicely captures their password. Capturing root passwords from users
> 'su'-ing requires a *lot* more advanced sniffer or cracker intervention.
> This easily captured password is sufficient for root access if the user is
> allowed to do anything that might gain them shell. - Jy@

A decent way to get to prevent such attacks is to allow the use only S/Key
one-time passwords when a person sudo's (or even logs in via any
unencrypted means).  I'm not sure how this would be accomplished, but I'd
be surprised if it couldn't be done.

--
Frank Tobin			"To learn what is good and what is to be
http://www.bigfoot.com/~ftobin	 valued, those truths which cannot be

PGPenvelope = Pine + PGP 5.0(i)            PGP:  1502 6E84 8C08 E828 7945
http://www.bigfoot.com/~ftobin/resources         3F4A 02F8 503A F40E B65E