Date:      Fri, 4 May 2001 07:20:10 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Joseph Scott <joseph@randomnetworks.com>
To:        jessemonroy@email.com
Cc:        gsutter@zer0.org, jkh@osd.bsdi.com, chat@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: [jkh@osd.bsdi.com: ANNOUNCE: Status update on ftp.freebsd.org A  KA ftp.freesoftware.com]

On Thu, 3 May 2001 jessem@livecam.com wrote:

> On  3 May, Gregory Sutter wrote:
> > On 2001-05-03 12:38 -0700, jessem@livecam.com wrote:
> >>
> >> 2) Speculation exists that FreeBSD is only making release to
> >> generate cash, not because any real changes apply to the software.
> >
> > I can't imagine the state of mental derangement that it would
> > take for you to post this, let alone to actually believe it.
> >
> Look, I don't make this shit up. So, you guys get real or
> cut the shit. Cause I've got a company to run and I really
> don't have time for this crap.
>
> If you have a comment with some serious material, then make it.
> But please stop the rhetoric about mental states, I'm really
> not inclined to follow this track.

	At a high level, one can simply look at the release notes to
determine what's changed.  At a lower level, take a look at the cvs logs.
Let me give your a for instance as to why your comment above is invalid.

	Not so long ago, my work place started purchasing dell poweredge
4400 servers to replace older servers.  All of these systems came with
what dell called the Perc 3/Di raid controller (which is rebranded, but
that's another story).  After doing some investigation at the time I found
out that those raid controllers were not supported by FreeBSD.  So NT went
on them and life went on.

	More time went by and a I notice that Mike Smith gets support into
-current for these raid controllers.  My joy was great.  More time goes on
and I discover that these drivers have been MFC'd and will be in the new
4.3-RELEASE of FreeBSD.  My joy was full.

	In my own little world at work, this alone would have been enough
to make a release, if it was up to me.  4.2-R didn't contain these
drivers, 4.3-R did.  That's a big new feature in my book.

	My $0.02 in refuting your claim.

-Joseph