Date:      Sun, 2 Feb 1997 22:09:53 +0100 (MET)
From:      Robert Eckardt <roberte@mep.ruhr-uni-bochum.de>
To:        bugs@freebsd.org
Subject:   /usr/bin/tar tvMf on 2.2-BETA_A

Today, I encountered a problem with the multi-volume feature of tar
and my Wangtek 5525ES SCSI tape (on a SC200, ASUS P55TVP4, 2.2-BETA_A):

Creation of a 4 tape multi volume archive went fine (tar cM ...).
However, a `tar tvM' produced a lot of
  Feb  2 15:36:55 ghost /kernel: st0(ncr0:2:0): extraneous data discarded.
  Feb  2 15:36:55 ghost /kernel: st0(ncr0:2:0): COMMAND FAILED (9 80) @f2250a00.
and tar aborted with several
  tar: read error on /dev/rst0 : Input/output error
at the time when the end of the tape was reached instead of
requesting the next tape.
(Last time I used it successfully on an ISA board, with the tape on
 an AHA-1542B under 2.1.5-R.)

Using tar on floppies worked o.k.

I'm not sure, whether it's a bug in the SCSI- or the tape-driver,
but the behaviour is definitely different to 2.1.5-R with the old
board, where it worked flawlessly.

Robert

--
Robert Eckardt                \\ FreeBSD -- solutions for a large universe.(tm)
RobertE@MEP.Ruhr-Uni-Bochum.de \\       What do you want to boot tomorrow ?(tm)