Date:      Sun, 09 Dec 2001 15:02:22 +0000 (WET)
From:      Daniel Leal <dleal@webvolution.net>
To:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   encryption and master.passwd

Hi!

To learn a little bit of the freebsd security I decided to read the
charpter 8 of the freebsd handbook. Soon I realize that passwords encrypted
with the MD5 hash are longer than those encrypted with the DES hash and
also begin with the characters $1$ and DES password strings does not
include the $ character.
So I did "more /etc/master_passwd" and I notice that mine and root's
password (I am the one who su to root in that system) are encrypted with
MD5 but the other users are encrypted with DES!!!

Why?
Did I do something wrong?
How can I change it all to MD5 encryption?

In my /etc/login.conf I have the following lines: (install defaults)
default:\
        :passwd_format=md5:\

Thanks, daniel