Date:      Fri, 22 Mar 2002 09:53:55 -0500 (EST)
From:      John Bleichert <syborg@stny.rr.com>
To:        Charles Burns <burnscharlesn@hotmail.com>
Cc:        questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Advocacy help for CS professor

Oh boy, I fought with this type all the way through engineering school.
Yet another CS professor who sees the glitzy surface and the commercial
success yet ignores the sloppy underpinnings (He's probably a DCOM expert,
right?) and the havoc M$ is wreaking on this planet right now.

I've found it worthless to try to reason with these people on technical
grounds - if they were interested in technical acumen, they wouldn't be
arguing with you anyway.

There are only 3 arguments that can help you at this point:

* M$ is a convicted monpolist who has broken the law several times and has
  been convicted of same. They should be treated accordingly.

* Ask this "professor" what happens in the wild when one species has
  gained utter and complete control of a biota and is then summarily wiped
  out by some sort of disease? The only safe network is a heterogenous
  network. The fact that one opsys controls the desktop of 95% of the
  world's, businesses' and governments' desktops gives me the willies and
  is just plain wrong.

* Ask him why exactly he would support a defacto, corprate-installed
  standard rather than a widely-agreed upon public standard that all
  opsys's could communicate with.

I'm a unix enthusiast, but an open-standards zealot. The problem is,
you've dropped this question in a newsgroup to a bunch of people who
probably couldn't care if some sequestered academic thinks M$ has better
products just because they were able to buy the market ;-)

JB

|-John Bleichert----syborg@stny.rr.com----------------|
|-------------------http://vonbek.dhs.org/latest.jpg--|