Date:      Tue, 2 Apr 96 10:40:00 MET DST
From:      Greg Lehey <lehey.pad@sni.de>
To:        alk@Think.COM (Tony Kimball)
Cc:        lehey.pad@sni.de, questions@freefall.freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: stty -echo -nl, emacs

>    Date: Wed, 27 Mar 96 9:56:20 MET
>    From: Greg Lehey <lehey.pad@sni.de>
>
>    Which shell are you using?  With bash or ksh,
>    things work correctly (or at least the same way as under SunOS 4 and
>    5).  You shouldn't need to do any stty adjustments.  If you still
>    can't get it to work, please tell me:
>
>      1. Which shell are you using.
>      2. The output from stty -a when these problems occur.
>
>    Greg
>
> I am using es, sans editline/readline.

I don't know that one.  Is it new?

> ; stty -a
> stty -a^M
> speed 9600 baud; 0 rows; 0 columns;^M
> lflags: icanon isig iexten echo echoe -echok echoke -echonl echoctl^M
> 	-echoprt -altwerase -noflsh -tostop -flusho -pendin -nokerninfo^M
> 	-extproc^M
> iflags: -istrip icrnl -inlcr -igncr ixon -ixoff ixany imaxbel ignbrk^M
> 	brkint -inpck -ignpar -parmrk^M
> oflags: opost onlcr -oxtabs^M
> cflags: cread cs8 -parenb -parodd hupcl -clocal -cstopb -crtscts -dsrflow^M
> 	-dtrflow -mdmbuf^M
> cchars: discard = ^O; dsusp = ^Y; eof = ^D; eol = <undef>;^M
                                ^^^^^^^                    ^^^^^^^
You probably want to set erase to ^H and kill to (say) ^U here.

> 	lnext = ^V; min = 1; quit = ^\; reprint = ^R; start = ^Q;^M
> 	status = <undef>; stop = ^S; susp = ^Z; time = 0; werase = ^W;^M

The rest of the stty stuff looks fine.  I can't see anything that's
appending the ^M, so I assume it's the shell.

> Now ash will at least drop the echo (so I infer that this is an es
> bug, and I will fix it there) but still emits the annoying \015s.
> ; sh
> sh^M
> $ date
> Mon Apr  1 23:41:18 CST 1996^M
>                             ^^

I see the ^Ms, but I'm confused.  Above, you said 'es', now you're
saying 'ash'.  To the best of my knowledge, neither are standard with
FreeBSD, though I at least know of ash.  Do you have a particular
reason to want to stay with this shell?  Otherwise bash, ksh, or zsh
should be upwards compatible with ash, and they don't exhibit these
problems.

Greg