Date:      Tue, 22 Feb 2000 19:07:40 +0000
From:      Marcel Moolenaar <marcel@cup.hp.com>
To:        Andre Albsmeier <andre.albsmeier@mchp.siemens.de>
Cc:        freebsd-emulation@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: How to link a Linux program under FreeBSD ?

Andre Albsmeier wrote:

> > Rule of thumb: From within a Linux shell you always pick up the linux
> > binaries and not the FreeBSD native ones.
>
> Yes, thanks for the hint. I have also been told that I can
> put /compat/linux/bin and /compat/linux/usr/bin first in my PATH.
> I tried it and it works as well.

Beware! Having /compat/linux... first in your path can cause breakages
in your native environment. It basicly causes unwanted mixing of FreeBSD
and Linux binaries. The same applies to setting LD_LIBRARY_PATH to solve
shared library problems. Keep both environments seperate as much as
possible and don't depend on inter-environmental environment variables
:-)

> I assume that this works also for the libs and the crt1 stuff.

No, the linux binaries happen to pick up the linux libraries first most
of the time. There are situations where a FreeBSD library is found first
(see below)...

> I think, the only problem arises if, e.g. I specify some
> lib that doesn't exist under /compat/linux but under FreeBSD.
> In this case I assume that the FreeBSD lib is being used.

Correct. Sometimes the search order used by ld(1) causes this as well.
In that case the Linux library can exist while the FreeBSD version is
used anyway...

--
Marcel Moolenaar
  mail: marcel@cup.hp.com / marcel@FreeBSD.org