Date:      Wed, 17 Jan 2001 10:29:19 -0500 (EST)
From:      Peter Dufault <dufault@hda.hda.com>
To:        current@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Fan speed control sony vaio lx800 slimtop

I'm giving up on turning down the slimtop fan for now, the only
way I can think of to figure out how Sony is turning down the fan
is to boot windows, single step through the installation of the
device drivers until I know which one is doing it, and then
disassemble it to see what they're up to.  If someone has any other
ideas let me know.  I might hook a scope up to the fan and boot
windows just to see if it simply turning the fan down or is varying
it.  Maybe I'll add a voltage regulator and a few bits of control
from the unused printer (it isn't run off the MB) and vary the fan
speed brute force.

I asked Sony support about the fan issue, they promptly replied
that running the fan at high continuosly is fine, that no additional
information is available, and that they will "record my interest
in alternate operating systems".  At least they have a polite way
of saying they support nothing but Windows.

So I'm going to roll this system back to 4.2 stable and start using
it for work.  If anyone wants me to try anything out with -current
or ACPI then holler today.

Two additional ACPI-APM things I did notice:

1. Putting APM into the config caused the keyboard switch to start
working to turn the machine on.  I'd taken it out at someones
suggestion.  This is weird, I can only guess APM does something as
the machine powers off that ACPI doesn't.

2. Using APM to suspend the machine causes the LED on the power
switch to turn amber, using "acpiconf -s 1" doesn't, the machine
suspends but the LED stays green.  If anyone has any little snippet
they want me to try before going back to stable let me know.

Anyway, if anyone buys one of these things then rubber bumpers on
the base and Dynamat lining the plastic case makes it as quiet as
a "normal" computer plus gives it a real solid feel.

Peter

--
Peter Dufault (dufault@hda.com)   Realtime development, Machine control,
HD Associates, Inc.               Fail-Safe systems, Agency approval