Date:      Thu, 18 Oct 2001 17:04:57 -0500
From:      "Dinesh Nadarajah" <dxn1972@hotmail.com>
To:        jonathan.chen@itouch.co.nz, debighosh@hotmail.com
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Dell Optiplex issue with Free BSD

I had the same problem. We have a couple of Compaqs we wanted to use as
servers but they have the i810 chip set too. And I followed every step of
the document at:

http://www.freebsd.org/doc/en_US.ISO8859-1/books/handbook/x-config.html

but no luck. I loaded the agpgart module and it did recognize it. But when I
did XFree86 -configure the screen blanked out. Had to Alt-Ctrl-Del to get
out (did this about 15 times today with the freeBSD box). Configured the
XF86Config.new files and everything. No luck. Finally installed Linux
(breeze) and got the work going. I am hoping to get this problem fixed and
install FreeBSD on the second machine soon.

Any more advice/pointers/experience on fixing this would be a help. I am
going to try and duplicate the XF86Configure file from linux.

Also, if both X-3.x.x and X-4.x.x are installed in your system, how do you
specify which to start or would freeBSD overide 3.x.x with the 4.x.x?

Thanks.

-D