Date:      Wed, 10 Jul 1996 08:49:04 -0400
From:      "Steve Sims" <SimsS@Infi.Net>
To:        <hackers@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: Some recent changes to GENERIC

> From: Jordan K. Hubbard <jkh@time.cdrom.com>
[snip]
> I would also like to remove:
>
> ed1
> lp1
>
> But will wait for more feedback on that (I think that ed1 should at
> least go).  I've undertaken this housecleaning because I feel that
> GENERIC has built up more than its fair share of historical cruft
> (many of the doubled entries predating userconfig) and we need to get
> back to the concept of GENERIC as a "just get it installed with as
> little wasted space as possible so that it still fits on one boot
> floppy" kind of kernel image.

Sorry, Jordan, I don't agree with yanking the ed1 device at all.  The
defaults for the ed0 interface are, at least in my copy of GENERIC, are
5/280.  Nearly ALL of the NE-2000 clones (and there are gazillions of 'em)
can't use 0x280, so the ed1 device becomes the E-net port on a clean
install; 5/300 being a fairly standard HW setup.  (And believe me, I've
used just about every el-cheapo, $19 NE2K clone on the planet.)

In fact, a quick run through the docs for the NE-2000 clones that I have
handy (four different ones are at hand) show that the available port
address base(es) for them are: 300, 320, 340 and 360.  No 0x280 in sight.
These included some old "jumperable" ones as well as those accursed
jumperless ones that need a DOS kick-start to get 'em configured right.

Yup, I know that one may '-c' the boot process and tweak the settings, but
it seems like one extra step for little benefit.

(For my benefit, can anyone explain why the default port address for ed0
is 0x280?  I assume some historical reason, but I really don't know the
details....)

OK, how 'bout this:  I'll endorse nuking the ed1 device, but only if the
default settings for the ed0 device are changed to 5/300 in GENERIC.  What
say?

...sjs...